Environmental monitoring is a general term for the measurement and analysis of environmental conditions on or around a construction site. The role of Environmental Monitoring is to reduce the environmental impact of a development on an area and prevent a nuisance to residents and business. In most cases, Environmental monitoring generally refers to Noise, Vibration and Dust (NVD). On certain construction site the term may be broadened to include additional monitoring modalities. Environmental Monitoring is highly advised for construction activities including excavations, demolition and pile driving.
Five principle reasons motivate sites to undertake Environmental Monitoring:
1. Compliance with planning conditions
2. Resolution of complaints from local businesses and residents
3. Protection against claims
4. Environmental protection in local area
5. As a resolution to enforcement procedures